Collection of pages from K&E catalogs for the 4096 Families of Slide Rules
There were 2 different slide rules with the model number 4096. The first 4096 was a Mannheim type slide rule made of metal that is shown in the 1906 through 1915 catalogs. The second 4096 was a 20" Mannheim slide rule that ended up with several variations. This second group of slide rules was part of a larger group called "Merchant's Slide Rules".
The 4096 Metal Mannheim Slide Rule (1906-1916):
Very little is known about this slide rule. The catalogs descriptions are minimum without illustrations. The following is the description from the 1909 catalog:
"K & E Mannheim Slide Rule, 10 in., engine divided, all metal, with glass indicator, in Case, with manual."
In 1913 the description read as follows:
"K & E Mannheim Slide Rule, 10 in., German silver, engine divided, with glass indicator, in Case, with Manual."
The 4096 Metal Mannheim slide rule appeared in the following catalogs:
The 4096 Merchant's Desk Slide Rule group (1927-1967):
The 4096 Merchant's Desk slide rule is a 20" Mannheim style slide rule with a very simple scale set. The frame has a larger cross section than any other K&E slide rule. The 4096 Merchant's slide rule is special in its mounting and case. The rule has cast metal feet such that it will sit on a desk slightly tilted for easy use. The rule has a knob on the right end of the slide to allow single hand use of the slide. The rule comes with a leatherette covered wood case that has clamps to grab the rule and hold it in place in the case. The rule is usable in the case with the top open.
The catalogs group the 4094, 4095, 4096 and 4150-1 together in a family called "Merchant's Slide Rules". The 4094 is a 10" version of the 4096. The 4095 is a 10" duplex slide rule. The 4150-1 is a 5" Mannheim plastic rule with an added L scale.
A version of the rule was produced (4096M) that is not mounted with feet and has a standard leather case.
The scale sets for the rules are as follows:
- Front: DF = CF C = D
N4096 & 4096M (1930-1967)
- Front: DF = CF CI C = D
The 4096 Merchant's Desk slide rule first appeared in the 1927 catalog. The 4096 family last appeared in the 1967 catalog. The following is a brief history of the 4096 Merchant's Desk family of slide rules as is told in the K&E catalogs that are available at this time. Exact timing is not possible because of the time between catalogs.
- 1927a - The 4096 was introduced in the 1927 soft bound catalog.
- 1930 -- The 4096 designation was changed to N4096. The CI scale was added to the slide. The CI scale is not shown in the illustration but it is mentioned at the bottom of the text.
- 1936 -- The all glass cursor was replaced with the metal rimmed cursor in 1936.
- 1939 -- The 4096M was added to the 4096 family.
- 1943 -- The N4096 was not shown in the catalog however, the 4096M is in the catalog. The N4096 also did not appear in either of the 1944 catalogs.
- 1947 -- The listing of the 4096M in the 1947 price sheet has "Temp. Disc." in the price column.
- 1949a - Both the N4096 and 4096M appear in the 1949 catalog.
- 1954 -- The description of the CI scale indicates that it has red numbers.
- 1962 -- The N4096 and 4096M model numbers are converted to 68 1749 and 68 1754.
- 1967 -- The N4096 and 4096M last appeared in the 1967 catalog.
Links to catalog pages for the 4096 Merchant's group of slide rules:
Link to scans of 4096 Merchants slide rules