Collection of pages from K&E catalogs for the 4058 Family
Student's/Beginner's Slide Rule
The 4058 family of slide rules is of the Mannheim type. The Student's Slide Rule model number 1749-1 was first shown in 1897 and is the predecessor of the 4058s. The early 4058s were constructed on a box wood frame with printing on paper. Later the printing was directly on the wood surface. Later K12 Prep rules were made of plastic. The 4058 family was the inexpensive offering for the K&E line from before 1897 to 1972.
In the beginning the 4058s were named "Student's" slide rule. Some time between 1922 and 1925 the name changed to "Beginner's". The 4058C was released in the early 1920s and was called the "Beginner's" slide rule. However there is a specimen of the 4058C with the name "Student's" on it.
The 4058 had two distinctly different issues. The rule as seen from 1901 to 1943 was a subset of the 4041. It had various less expensive cursors. The inch and centimeter scales on the edges were removed.
The scale set:
- A = B C = D
- = S L T =
The rule as seen from 1944 to 1952 was a subset of the 4053. It had a formed metal rimmed cursor. The inch and centimeter scales on the edges were removed.
The scale set:
- A = B CI C = D K
- = S L T =
The final version of the rule was the 4158 and 68 1892 that was released in the late 1950s. The 4158 is all plastic with all of its scales on the front.
The scale set:
- K A = B S CI T C = D L
The following models are part of the 4058 family and vary in scale sets, material types, and cursor types:
- 1749-1 --- 10" Mannheim with 4041 scale set. Celluloid cursors. Called Student's Slide Rule.
- 4058 ------ 10" Mannheim with 4041 scale set. Celluloid cursors. Called Student's Slide Rule until early 1920s.
- N4058C -- 10" Mannheim with 4041 scale set. Glass cursor with wood blocks.
- 4058W --- 10" Mannheim with 4041 scale set. Glass cursor with formed metal frame.
- 4058C ---- 10" Mannheim with 4041 scale set. Glass cursor with wood blocks.
- 8858 ------ 10" Mannheim with 4041 scale set. Glass cursor with formed metal frame. This rule was sold for $1 as a loaner during WWII.
- 4059 ------ 8" Mannheim with 4041 scale set.
- 4058D ---- 10" Mannheim with 4041 scale set. Celluloid cursors.
- N4058W - 10" Mannheim with 4053 scale set. Glass cursor with formed metal frame and plastic cursor.
- 4158 ----- 10" Mannheim with modified 4053 scale set. K12 Prep. All plastic construction.
- 68 1892 -- 10" Mannheim with modified 4053 scale set. K12 Prep. All plastic construction.
With the information available it is not known how far back the 4058 family goes. In the 1906 catalog it appeared to be a fully established. The last mention of the family is in the 1972 catalog. The following is a brief history of the 4058 family of slide rules as is told in the K&E catalogs that are available at this time. Exact timing is not possible because of the time between catalogs.
- 1897 - The 1749-1 model number was first shown. It is described as having a white paper face with printing on it. It had a celluloid cursor with a metal frame around it.
- 1901 - The 1749-1 model number was changed to 4058 and the cursor was different
- 1915 -The rule had the printing directly on the box wood frame. The cursor is of bent celluloid with a steel spring.
- 1925 - The N4058C was introduced. The 4058 was also offered. The N4058C has an all glass cursor with wood blocks. The name was changed from "Student's Slide Rule" to "Beginner's Slide Rule".
- 1930 - The 4058W was introduced. The 4058 and N4058C were also available. The 4058W has a white paint type finish that the scales are printed on.
- 1936 - The 4058C replaced the N4058C. We cannot tell if there was a change. The 4058 and 4058W were also available.
- 1939 - The 4059 and 8" version of the 4058s was introduced. The 4058, 4058C and 4058W were also available.
- 1942 - The 4058D was introduced replacing the 4058 and 4058C. The 4058D had a celluloid cursor like the 1915 version. The 4058W was still offered. The 4059 was not offered.
- 1943 - The 4058W is the only offering. The 8858 was offered as a loaner during the war and could be traded in when K&Es production was back up. The 8858 was a 4058 with a cardboard box with special instructions on the box.
- 1944b - The N4058W is released and the 4058W is not shown. The N4058W has the 4053 scale set with a "plain frame Glass Indicator".
- 1954 - The N4058W is shown with an all plastic cursor.
- 1959 - The N4058W is last shown in the 1959 Price List.
- 1961 - The 4158 (K12 Prep) was released. It is not shown in any catalog. It was the predecessor of the 68-1892.
- 1962 - The 68 1892 (K12 Prep) replaced the old 4058 group.
- 1972 - The K12 Prep is last shown in the 1972 catalog.
Links to catalog pages for the 4058 family of slide rules:
Link to scans of 4058 Family of Slide Rules